Friday, December 8, 2017

QUICK RE-INTRODUCTION

Hi there, I thought I'd start by introducing myself - or re-introducing myself since I created my first blog probably 10 years ago. As you can imagine, a lot has changed since then - probably with you too. And probably with the popularity of blogging and it's ability to generate an audience. When I first started blogging there were only a handful of blogs that matched my interests. However, the number quickly exploded as everyone wanted to share their story and we rode the blogging wave together for a number of years before things began to die down due to new social media platforms becoming more popular - besides, you can only write about running so much before you run out of things to say.

I'm sure you're thinking, "Why the new blog?" Good question. Like I said, a lot has changed in the last 10 years. Yes, I'm still running, but much less competitively. I still love to run, but find the urge to race waning. The main thing that's changed  over the years is a much greater interest in things like health, wellness, nutrition, and mindfulness. I've become so interested in them that starting in 2018 I'll be working on earning a health coach certification through the Institute of Integrated Nutrition (IIN).

I have a few goals for this certification. First, at the very least I'd like to use it to create a community education class to help educate people on the benefits of a whole-food plant-based diet. I think it's pretty obvious that our current healthcare system isn't working. We're the wealthiest nation on the planet, yet we have the sickest people. What we eat has a huge impact on our health, yet we continue to eat our way to dis-ease. Second, I'd like to create a health coaching practice that allows me to work one-on-one with patients. The IIN's program take a holistic approach to healthcare, so it'll be more than just focused on diet. Ideally, this would be my "side hustle" and allow me to earn some money on the side. My final goal would be for my coaching practice to be so successful that it leads to a complete career shift that will allow me to get out of my cube and corporate America.

Goal #1 is feasible. I've already started compiling notes that I plan on using for a community education class. I'm not so sure about goals #2 or #3. Part of me can't help but be skeptical and think the program could be a scam. However, like I said, our current healthcare system is a mess and I believe the country/world needs more health coaches. While your doctor can tell you to eat better and exercise more, they don't have the time or education to help educate you on how to do those things. So I'm willing to go with my heart, follow my passion, and invest in myself. Worse case scenario, I spend four grand on a year's worth of classes that I find really interesting.

Part of the training includes the business side of being a health coach, like how to set up a website, do health screenings, market your services, etc. However, this doesn't happen until about halfway through the program. So, my plan is to use this blog as a repository to store content that could possibly be used as part of my business. Maybe in the process I'll generate a client or two - if anyone still reads blogs in 2017.


No comments:

Post a Comment

WE NEED A HEALTH COACH REVOLUTION

The Health Coach Revolution - Doctors Aren't Enough  by Chris Kresser We don't need more information... Most people know that eati...